Friday, January 4, 2013

Throwing from the flats

Well, alrighty!

Even though I'm throwing further and further every day, Ken has cleared me to throw once a week from flat ground at 60 feet.  No mound and "fastballs" only, but it's a start.  I feel ready to roll this way in a lot of ways.  I'm excited to get the velocity, accuracy and movement back.

I'm still being encouraged to work my way up to 150 feet which is basically a bit further than across the diamond.  I'm at 120 now and confident and can let it fly pretty good from then.

This brings up the question I always get asked about pitching.  What's the difference between pitching and throwing.

Throwing is where you hit an area form a longer ways away.  Not difficult, but not as easy as you might thing.  Pitching is determining where your throw will go within an inch and with repeatable mechanics.  My mechanics could be way off during a throw in from the outfield and I'll still make it whereas when I pitch...well, not the same case.

Mechanics in pitching are much tougher to correct.  You can't simply correct on the fly or count on your partner to adjust enough to make it effective. When playing the outfield, the cutoff player can adjust and react appropriately.

At any rate, I'm all about building arm strength now.  I'm continuing the conditioning program every day as well as progressing in the throwing program.

The goal is to be back and throwing from the mound in April.  I have about 6-8 weeks of flat ground training ahead and then it's really back to the mound for bullpens. I'm projecting being able to throw out of the 'pen for the first part of the year and then re-evaluate after July.

Phew! There is still a lot of work ahead, but there is so much behind me too.  It's a huge relief!

Pardon the pun.


No comments:

Post a Comment