Friday, May 4, 2012

Crafty lefty?

I've been tossing around (pardon the pun) the idea of learning to throw with my left hand. I decided to start practicing with a weighted ball at the gym. Just light tossing trying to hit the same spot over and over again.  Nothing crazy big, just 7-10 tosses at a spot on the wall with one of those mushy balls that won't bounce.

It's going well so far. I've been able to successfully hit the same spot repeatedly and have repeatable mechanics.  There have even been a few times that there has been some velocity behind it.

I doubt I'll ever pitch left handed, but I thought it would be good to give this a shot while I have the time and the will to do it.  Apparently Yu Darvish routinely throws left handed on his off days.  He feels that it keeps his body balanced and that it keeps him sharper with his right arm. Rumor has it, he throws harder than Moyer as a lefty.

I really have no idea why I'm doing this.  I think it's probably to compensate for my lack of ability to throw with the right arm.  That's gotta be why this is so interesting to me. Maybe it'll pay off. I have this idea that I can get onto first base with a lefty's mitt and be able to cut someone down at home plate.  Why not?

It seems to be keeping me out of trouble so far.

Other Notes:


My arm has consistently reached full range extension at  0 degrees extended and 140 degrees flexed.  That was twice this week, so I'm hoping that this range is here to stay.

PT is getting much more difficult.  I've graduated up to the "red band" now which is much more difficult than the "yellow band".  I feel like I'm in karate.



No comments:

Post a Comment