Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Introduction: T Minus 9 days to surgery

I'm pretty sure it's going to be mostly friends and family reading this out of pity and perhaps curiosity, but I thought I should write an introductory blog just in case there are some strangers reading this.

Let me start off by saying I'm not a professional blogger.  I'm a video game producer. I've been lucky enough to do plenty of writing the past for video game manuals which may or may not be more interesting than this.  I've also done some spot blogging for my company, but those are few and far between.  However, PopCap Games is a forgiving company and they seem to take pity on me occasionally.

What I'm trying to say is don't expect much here. I'll promise to be honest but probably not coherent at all times and possibly even less interesting.  I'm not very funny either. Maybe on a blog I'll be funnier.  My tweets are often pretty good.

So, what do you need to know? Hell if I know really.  I'm 36 and in  great shape.  I love baseball, snowboarding and spending time with my fiance' and my dogs. I love being at the gym and desperately miss my home city of San Diego.

What you're reading this for is to see what it's like to get Tommy John surgery.  Yeah, I had no idea either which is why I'm writing this. It turns out, there are no resources for us crazy people who still play ball to really investigate what it's like to get TJ surgery. Well, here we are.  I'll tell you how it feels; how the rehab goes; what it cost; everything.

My first piece of advice is to not "Google Image" search this.

Ah, but back to me and baseball.

I've pitched for 20 something years.  I've been gifted with mediocre velocity, but generally pretty good accuracy and a ton of movement on every pitch I throw. It's good enough to get people out in my 35 + Puget Sound Senior (cringe) Baseball League at any rate.  Plus, I love it. I love pitching.  I love having that control in my hand.  I love striking people out and breaking bats. I'm good.  Not good enough to warrant a second look  from anyone, but I don't care.  I'm happy where I'm at.  Hell, I've gotten to pitch at Safeco Field....twice.  That's an amazing experience by itself.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll talk about the elbow. I'll discuss the feeling I got, the steps we went through to diagnose, and the day the slider died.

No comments:

Post a Comment